Nissim was born on October 17,1930 in Barcelona Spain, to Moshe and Esther. He completed elementary school. Aged thirteen Nissim came alone to Israel with the “Niassa” immigrants, sent by the “Joint” on February 1,1944, during WWII. After six months studying at Ben-Shemen Youth Village, he joined his parents who’d arrived and settled in Tel-Aviv. He began work as an upholsterer, and continued supporting himself through school.
In 1946 he joined Lehi; his nom-de-guerre was Avner. After establishment of the State he joined the IDF with his comrades, placed in the “A” Company of 89th Commando Battalion (first at 81st),of the 8th Brigade Armoured Corps. The Battalion’s base was in Ben-Shemen. A handsome lad of 17.5, Nissim was among the oldest of his fighting Company. Their first fatality occurred during Operation “Dani” when, Moshe Goldberg (Ben-Zion), aged 16.5, fell in the Sheikh-Ali area near Beit-Naballa. The Company participated in all the 89th Battalion’s battles, and was often positioned at the very head, as happened during the conquest of Iraq-Souidan November 9,1948, “Yoav Fortress” of today. The Company Commander was Dov, and the young group were aboard the first armoured vehicle to advance towards the fortress wal; Nissim fired the first round of machine-gun fire at the explosive charge which blew up and thus the Fortress wall was penetrated, enabling its takeover by the fighters.
A month and a half later Operation Chorev took place. The 89th Battalion was parked at Wadi Aviad, awaiting the 82nd Battalion’s conquest of Nitzana, Uja-el-Hafir, so as to storm on ahead to Sinai. Their attack failed and the 89th‘s “A” Company was sent to help ( December 26,1948). The group was caught by heavy live fire, and lost six soldiers including their leader. An artillery shell hit the Company’s vehicle igniting a fire. Three members were killed, including Nissim, who’d jumped from the vehicle. His eyes injured, he turned facing the Egyptians who shot and killed him. Nissim was buried in Chalutza, and on July 20,1949, was moved to the Military Section of Nachalat-Yitzchak cemetery.