Asher, son of Nehama and Yitzhak Pace, was born in Lodz, Poland, in 1923. In 1924, the parents and their four children set out for Warsaw, then Constanța, and finally to the Land of Israel. The family had certificates, as the father had been invited to work for Avraham Krinitzi, who owned a carpentry shop. He would go on to be mayor of Ramat Gan for decades. One of Asher’s brothers died from the stress of their journey. Eventually, two more brothers were born: Avigdor and Moshe. The family lived mostly in Ramat Gan, and they helped found the neighborhood of Nahalat Ganim.

Their small home was traditional and Zionist. The father worked, while the children studied and helped support the family. Giving to and helping others were pillars of the house. He and his brothers were not religious; however the values he absorbed in his home helped him develop a deep sense of respect for his parents, punctiliously honoring them and their customs when he was near them. He was a literate man, reading philosophy, articles and poetry. He taught himself and others. He would sing holidays songs and pioneers’ and youth songs. He knew how to write, as well as how to collect pleasant sayings and maxims. He was very sharp in his thinking and speaking, and to be near him was a productive and unforgettable experience. He became seriously ill with a fever, but he overcame it and continued to carry the burden.

Asher joined Lehi. He took part in combat operations, including confiscating weapons from the British Army base in Holon. He did not reveal his secret to anyone. His family only learned of his membership when he was arrested and sent to detention in Atlit, then Latrun, where he stayed for more than three years. His family supported him and took care of his needs while he was in prison.

After Asher was freed, he had great difficulty adjusting to the different pace of life. He tried, with all his energy, to recover and establish a family, but he was unsuccessful.

His Lehi past made it difficult for him to find work. He had to engage in manual labor as a plumbing contractor, and his time was not free to pursue his studies. He spent all his time making sure he could support his elderly parents and find a roof for himself. He married twice, was widowed and never had children.

He refused to speak of his past in the underground. He read a lot, was very critical and was quite disappointed by developments in the State of Israel.

Asher passed away on 22.5.1994, and he was buried in the Yarkon Cemetery.