NAME: Livni (Weiss) Meir


DATE OF BIRTH: April 14, 1929

DATE OF DEATH: August 22, 2011

Meir was born in Munkács, Czechoslovakia (now Ukraine), April 14, 1929 the youngest child of Mordechai and Bluma. The family made aliya, including his brothers Moshe and Natan and his sister Haya, on 1.2.1935. The house was a warm home, traditional and religious. He studied in the Mizrahi School in Bnei Brak, where the family lived in its first years in the Land of Israel, finishing eight years of study in Yeshivat Tel Aviv, after the family moved to Tel Aviv. From his youth, he helped support the family, working in diamond polishing, which he did until his retirement.

He joined the Hagana at fifteen, hiking and training with firearms. During the period of the Jewish Resistance Movement, he took part in preparing explosive devices to thwart British patrols on nights when Mapilim were set to arrive. After “Black Sabbath” (June 29,1946), when the leaders of the Yishuv were imprisoned and the arms cache in Yagur discovered, he put up HaHoma posters proclaiming that Britain had declared war on the Nation of Israel, that the Jewish Resistance Movement would persevere, and that the “Nazi-British” government would be overthrown. This was the last operation of the Jewish Resistance Movement, and Meir then made contact with Lehi by way of his eldest brother Moshe, whose Lehi nom de guerre was Ehud. Meir completed the circle by once again putting up the HaHoma poster, this time under the auspices of Lehi, which now admonished the Jewish Resistance Movement for giving in to the enemy and inciting against its brothers.

In order to avoid being a Hagana hearing about his abandoning it, Meir was transferred to Hadera, and a short while afterwards he was arrested with two of his comrades (May 4,1947), as they were preparing to greet some of the escapes from Acre Prison with sandwiches, sweets and cigarettes. He sat in Latrun and afterwards in Atlit, where all the detainees and prisoners were transferred as the Mandate was coming to an end. He was freed only after the State was established.

For two months, Meir worked in a Lehi factory making stencils in Bnei Brak until he enlisted in the IDF, to Battalion 89 in the “old man’s brigade,” under the command of Yitzhak Sadeh. In the capture of Beit Guvrin, Meir was wounded and hospitalized in Tel HaShomer. However, days later, he escaped back to his battalion. Then he had to convince the battalion doctor that he was fit for duty. The doctor only certified this when he demonstrated he could still operate his Besa machine gun. He served until the end of hostilities, and because he was so young, he served two more years in the IDF.

Meir married Bat-Sheva Eisenman, and they had two daughters: Irit and Nurit.