NAME: Jungstein, Shmuel



DATE OF DEATH: June 6, 2015

Shmuel was born in the Land of Israel to Moshe, who had recently made aliyah from Poland, and Miriam, a native of Safed and fifth-generation resident of the land. Shmuel had a brother as well.

However, conditions were difficult and Moshe returned to Poland with his family, including young Shmuel. Still, their love for the land won out, and they returned in 1931 as part of the illegal aliyah. Their ship’s destination was Beirut, but the crew was bribed to veer off course, let about twenty Jews disembark at the Port of Jaffa, and then sail to Beirut.

The family was traditionally observant, with Moshe’s father being a beadle in the synagogue and influencing the education of his grandchildren. They settled in Jaffa, with Moshe running a housewares store in the Menashiya market. In 1936, as riots broke out across the land, the Jungstein family and some other managed to flee Jaffa thanks to a friendly Arab merchant who warned them that they were targets for the rioters. They moved to the Shabazi neighborhood and then to Ramat Gan.

Shmuel studied in the Tachkemoni School and then in a religious school in Ramat Gan. In the Montefiore trade school, he studied to be a locksmith and mechanic. He worked by day as a locksmith in the Elite factory, along with other underground members.

In 1943-1944, he was a Beitar member in Ramat Gan, playing soccer and training in boxing.

In 1946, he joined Lehi and began weapons training. He posted posters in Ramat Gan and was responsible for doing the same in Petah Tikva. Hagana men were waiting for him and would puncture the tires of his motorcycle as he was providing security. On one occasion, he fired into the air when this happened, and the ambushes ceased.

When he was in the camp in Netanya, a British soldier on a motorcycle stopped by a kiosk. Shmuel and another friend accosted him, threatening him not to move. The soldier begged for his life, and they confiscated his rifle, returning to the camp amid cheers.

Together with the other members of Lehi, he enlisted in the IDF at Sheikh Munis and served in Battalion 82 of the 8th Brigade. He was discharged for medical reasons but soon re-enlisted. In 1952, he served at Camp Julis and Tel Nof. He was finally demobilized in 1953.

He worked at Elite for about twenty years, and he served as a member of the workers’ committee and the factory’s production council, under the aegis of the Histadrut. He was also a member of the management of Leumit Health Fund and part of its national board.

In 1951, he married Hannah Zbernik, a Holcaust survivor who reached Israel after the estbalishemt of the State. They have three children and numerous grandchildren.

In 1971 he left Elite to join his uncle’s business, S.M.A. Ltd., which provides equipment for barkeries. He was responsible for maintenance and repaires of the machinery and was unfortunately injured on the job. This work brought him into contact with Jews and Arabs alike.

Later, the family moved to Lod.