NAME: Ginzler Leah



DATE FALLEN: November 12, 1947

Leah was born in 1931 in Ohal, Hungary to Miryam and Mordechai-Zvi Ginzler. She had two sisters and a brother. In July 1935 the family made aliya with a Certificate, settling in Tel Aviv. The family was a traditional Jewish one and Leah was sent to study at Beit-Ya’acov, a  religious school. She was raised at home to love both Eretz Yisrael and its people. She was a member of the school’s religious youth movement ‘Batya’, and there too absorbed  love of country. Due to the economic hardships at home, she discontinued her studies at 15 and went to work as an apprentice at a dental technician’s lab. This quiet peaceful girl was shocked by the decision of the British authorities, to prevent Holocaust survivors from entering the land, and furthermore exiling them to Camps in Cyprus. Leah felt unable to remain passive regarding this, and decided on joining the freedom fighters’ underground. Making contact took a while but towards the end of 1946 she joined. She attended ideological meetings, pasted info-bulletins on walls and distributed informative materials. In her parents’ home it was unacceptable for a young girl to be away evenings. Her parents began suspecting she was an Etzel member and her father rebuked her for this. Conscience clear, she could deny this without lying. However, like many 16-year-olds then, she too was dissatisfied with merely pasting info-bulletins on walls and attending ideology lectures, and wanted to join a weapons course that would prepare her for taking operative action against the British. Merely two months after having joined, she was sent on a weapons course at an isolated house in south Ra’anana. The group comprised seven youngsters, plus the instructor and young cook. The trainees arrived in the dark, alone or in pairs, to avoid arousing suspicion. Next morning they removed the weapons from hiding (in a barrel concealed in the ground) and commenced cleaning them. That morning, the November 12,1947, before the young trainees even learned how to handle the weapons, a large force of British troops surrounded the house. As per escape plan, the youngsters tried fleeing through a back window to an adjacent orchard. The troops fired upon them from multiple directions, using automatic weapons. Five of the group were killed, including  Leah, only sixteen years old. The others were wounded and arrested.

Leah was laid to rest at the Nahalat Yitzhak cemetery in Tel Aviv.


הנצחה באנדרטה ביער לח”י במשמר איילון
שמה של לאה גינצלר חרוט על לוח באנדרטה ביער לח”י
לבנת זיכרון על שם לאה גינצלר בהיכל הזיכרון הממלכתי בהר הרצל