NAME: Feldman Asher Oscar

LEHI ALIAS: Gedaliah


DATE FALLEN: June 17,1946

Asher was born in late 1921 in the city of Pinsk to Moshe and Zipporah Devorah. He received a Religious Zionist education at home and in cheder. Afterwards, he finished high school in his hometown. As a youth, he joined the Jewish youth movements which were designed for self-defense. In 1937, he and his friends joined Beitar in Pinsk and he became one of its activists. His commander notes that Asher was passionate and dedication to his nation. He was alert, talented, active and literate.

In summer 1938, the movement sent him to a course for instructors. He was trained with firearms and was recruited to the IZL in Poland.

When World War II began in 1939, Asher went to Vilnius and spent some time in the Beitar dormitory. He then went out for Beitar training at a farm in Marglowka, Lithuania, in order to make aliyah. The training including farming and weapons training, and he also instructed others. From there, he ended up in Nazi-occupied Kovno, and he became a member of the ghetto war council. During this period of wandering, he married another underground member; tragically, she was killed during an operation in the Kovno Ghetto. He escaped, but was captured by the Germans and sent to a concentration camp. He survived and fled again; by late 1944, he succeeded in getting to the Land of Israel. When he arrived, he spent a short amount of time in Kibbutz Givat Brenner, but he quickly foudn his way to Lehi, left the kibbutz, and joined the underground. He was trained in firearms and immediately after joined the combat brigade to fight the British.

Bookie was the one who found him on the kibbutz and brought him to Tel Aviv. Asher was modest and humble, sociable and always ready to help. Rachel A., who was then pregnant, tells of how reliable he was. Whenever Bookie was busy, Asher, who was practically a family member, would help them.

On June 17,1946 Asher was part of the Haifa Railway Workshops attack. While the operation was successful and the machinery destroyed, as the fighters retreated in a truck, they ran into a British ambush of armored vehicles, which opened heavy fire on them. Eleven were killed and eighteen captured, some of them inured, both male and female. Asher was severely wounded, and because he received no medical treatment, he soon died of blood loss.

He was buried in the Lehi section of the Haifa Cemetery.