NAME: Peikovksy Shlomo



DATE OF DEATH: 29.7.1987

Shlomo was born in 1915 in the town of Voranava (in what is now Belarus), not far from Vilnius, Lithuania. The family loved to celebrate the Sabbath and all the Jewish holidays in their home, and the festive tunes would fill the house. On those occasions, Beitar activities would be held in the house, not long after the movement’s founding. Shlomo studied in Talmud Torah, and at five, he studied Jewish culture in school. In the evenings, he would go to Yeshivat Eišiškės.

At thirteen, he joined the Beitar cell in Voranava, and he later became the instructor of the “Eagles” group. In 1932, he was chosen to be the first youth to go to Beitar training. He excelled in organizing and strengthening the company, and he was made the secretary of the battalion. At age twenty, he was told to prepare to make aliyah, but when the time came, he had to give up his spot to a friend who had been in trouble and needed to make a quick escape. Shlomo then enlisted in the Polish Army; he was one of twenty expert snipers, the only Jew.

When the time finally came for aliyah, he begged his family to accompany him. He was afraid that this might be their only chance. His family disagreed, so Shlomo made aliyah on his own, experiencing many travails at sea. The Mapilim ship he was on sank, so he had to find another one, which finally made it to the shore at Kfar Vitkin. He joined Beitar and served in cells throughout the country, working in the orchards. Eventually, he ended up in Tel Aviv.

In 1941, he married Shoshana; in 1943, he joined Lehi. In the meantime, they had two sons. Shlomo went out often on missions and was forced to spend nights away from home. Shoshana joined Lehi with the rest of the family, and she opened their home to Lehi refugees. This earned her the title “Mother of the Underground.” Shoshana’s parents lived in a large building in North Tel Aviv, and a shed of theirs was used as an armory and training ground. In addition to his own operations, Shlomo also recruited friends to Lehi.

After the Bernadotte assassination, he was arrested along with other Lehi members. He spent a year-and-a-half in detention. After his release, he went to work for the Histadrut, so he could help fellow underground members find work. He also served as an arbitrator in labor disputes in the construction department.

He also fundraised for national institutions, was a member of the Herut Movement’s council, and helped raise money for his friends.

In 1952, he and Shoshana had a third son, Ami, born on Independence Day.

After he retired, he volunteered at Beit Yair and Metzudat Zeev.

Shlomo passed away during the annual period of mourning for the destruction of the Temple, on 29.7.1987.