NAME: Barazani Binyamin


DATE OF BIRTH: October 15, 1931

DATE OF DEATH: September 15, 1919

Binyamin was born  October 15, 1931 in Baghdad Iraq, to  Avraham and Lulu. The eight-member family made Aliyah 1933  settling in an  Old City of Jerusalem house. His religious father dealt with  Kabbalah, a generations old family tradition. He worked  writing Holy Scriptures, deciphering secrets through the  holy “Zohar”, and advising those who sought it. Binyamin and his brothers grew up, longing for  redemption of the nation. He studied at a boys’ elementary school and  ‘Porat Yoseph Yeshiva’, Old City. Aged 15 he joined ‘Brit- Hachashmonaim’, later Lehi. He pasted up info-bulletins,  did surveillance and weapons courses. Later came combat operations: firing at soldiers, hurling grenades and flaming bottles at British armoured vehicles. His brother, Moshe, a Lehi member, had been caught, grenade in  hand, about  to execute a planned Lehi attack, and charged with the death penalty. Following Moshe’s imprisonment, Binyamin was suspected of Lehi membership, but released after two weeks, under administrative arrest.  On November 14, 1947 he participated in a grenade attack on Café Ritz – British soldiers’ hangout – retribution for the massacre of the boys and girls the British murdered at the Ra’anana course. That night, he was arrested for breaking  curfew, imprisoned in  “Kishla” Prison Jerusalem, then transferred to Latrun Prison Camp. After the UN Partition Decision and outbreak of murderous Arab riots, he was transferred to Atlit Camp and released May 19, 1948.  He participated in the Sheikh-Monis Enlistment Parade to the IDF, of the Lehi Fighting Division on May 29, 1948, but he eventually returned to Jerusalem, joined the Lehi base, and participated in opening the “Burma Road” to Jerusalem. He transported weapons to the besieged city, and was injured in the attack on the Old City. Following Count Bernadotte’s assassination, he was arrested and jailed at Jaffa Prison. After the Lehi Prisoners’ Revolt, they were transferred to Akko Prison. Following a general amnesty he was released, October 29, 1948. He became a soldier, serving in the Air-Force’s Anti-Airplane Missile Unit, then  discharged from the IDF on May 24, 1949. Binyamin married  Helena. They have a son, Yechezkel, and three grandchildren. Binyamin, a disabled IDF veteran, worked in a transportation company as a cab-owner.